Friday, November 2, 2012

La Chiquita Gordita


How can something I love so much, the one thing I would give anything for, not love me in return? No matter how much I express my constant (ever so constant) unconditional love, all I get is a sick feeling in my stomach and an extra five pounds on my waist line. This is the worst relationship I've ever been in.
No, I’m not talking about my boyfriend. I’m talking about my obsession with Mexican food (specifically, tortillas). 

I’ve always been able to consume copious amounts of food, but as soon as I crossed the border into Mexico, my capabilities somehow increased. It doesn’t help staying with a family who feeds me until I’ve had my fill, then throws in an extra serving on top of that just to make sure. Here is a play-by-play of a day in Aticama:

Morning: Instant Nescafe, eggs, beans, avocado, tortillas, and banana pancakes “solo para probar” (just to try)
Mid-Morning: Machete open some coconuts, lay in a hammock, forget any physical activity
Afternoon: Homemade, oyster enchiladas, followed by an extra made with chicken “solo para probar” 
Early Evening: Walk to el centro, sit on the beach,  4 tostadas, I’m stuffed, I’ll have a magnum chocolate bar
Evening: Watch some telenovelas, eat cookies, escape to my room to keep myself from eating anything more

Here in la casa de Perez, no one goes hungry thanks to my amiga Blanca who won’t eat until everyone has had seconds, then afterwards makes me another pancake so I can sit with her while she eats. They want me to pruebalo “try it” and it’s rude not to try their food, so of course I indulge. 

Apodos, nicknames, are given to everyone in Aticama. El Gordo, El Hippie, La Blanca, La Bebe Fea (most beautiful baby ever), Chuy, and now me, La Chiquita Gordita. In order to build a healthy relationship, I will be taking a break from my beloved up in the mountains of San Luis Potosi and Vera Cruz, where I will trade in the tortillas for quinoa, magnum ice cream bars for vegetables, and hammocks for running shoes. 

But not until after breakfast. We still have a kilo of tortillas to bid adieux. 


No comments:

Post a Comment