Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Contentment Through Simplicity


My family does a good job at keeping my birthday very simple, yet meaningful. The only two gifts I received before I left for Mexico, came from my sisters. The one in particular was from Joben. She got an idea from her previous travels, to give a small, plastic magnetic picture frame with a photo of us being silly (below). It’s light, doesn’t take up any packing room, and is a constant reminder of my family. On the back she wrote something short and sweet without getting too mushy, even though she probably wanted to. 

Today, I reached into my computer bag and pulled out the picture frame, only to have it fall apart on my bed. I thought I ruined it and was pretty bummed, but as I successfully put it back together, I noticed for the first time, an insert from her daily devotional (whether or not she put it there on purpose, I’m not sure). It reads like this: 

“I say it is better to be content with what little you have. Otherwise, you will always be struggling for more, and that is like chasing the wind.” -Ecclesiastes 4:6

“When it comes to evaluating your life, God’s scales weigh differently than yours. Seeing through His eyes, the smallest things can bring you the deepest joy. When you embrace your life just as it is, you can lay down the struggle for what might be or might have been. You can feel the lessing of contentment that, for this moment, your life is the perfect starting place for the next step in the journey.” 

The smallest things can indeed bring me deepest joy. It’s easy for me to get caught up in the world I live in, forgetting to be thankful for the little things. I’m lucky enough to have a little sister who can remind me through a piece of paper of how great my life is right where it is - not where I’ve been, or where I’m going or not going. Right here, right now, watching “How I Met Your Mother” from a computer, in a motel, drinking a $4 bottle of Sangria from a gas station in Mexico, while the town dries out from a hurricane, is exactly where I’m supposed to be. 

I don’t have to worry about where my life is going because that’s already handled for me. This clever little sister of mine, also added a useful Bible verse after her short and sweet note: 

“Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of it’s own.” - Matthew 6:34 

1 comment:

  1. :) this makes me smile. And as for the devotional note....I hand selected that one and hid it inside thinking that you will stumble upon it one day, and when you do, it will probably mean more at that moment because it will be the words you need to hear and be reminded of the most. Funny how God works eh? Love you sis and miss you more than you know, but glad you are where you're supposed to be right now.

    ReplyDelete