Thursday, November 29, 2012

Jacomulco y Punta de Partida

After a Thanksgiving tailgate in the Bodega parking lot, a crew of us ventured south for a few days to Jacomulco to stay with our friend Misael. He had a double kayak so that was my opportunity to take a stab at kayaking. FAIL. I thought I would be much better at reading white water but after flipping twice, leaving Andrew (who was very patient) and I both scratched and bruised, it was apparent I'm best to stick with surfing.

After three days in Jacomulco, we came to Punta Roca Partida, home of the Rio de Oro. The take out from the Oro is the river mouth so we took the opportunity to camp on the beach for a couple days (leaving the double behind). It's a nice change of pace and it feels good to be living outdoors again with the added bonus of east coast sun rises and a full moon shining on the ocean. Besides "Gangnam Style" being loudly (sooo loudly) repeated every minute on the Mexican Jukebox, and the occasional dog fights, things are pretty peaceful.

The scenery here surpasses all I've seen thus far. I went for a run the other day and the confused looks from both the locals and cows fueled my desire to keep running until I reached a lookout to the ocean. (The concept of running for pleasure hasn't reached this town either). Usually, five miles at high noon with no food or water would be enough for me, but after the ocean view with wildlife surrounding me, I was fueled with all the energy I needed to turn around and take in another five to get back to camp.

Next week I'll be taking a much needed break from boys and heading to the west coast to surf with Rikki and Erika. Even if we get skunked on swell which is quite possible this time of year, it will be nice to get in the water with my girls again. It's going to take me two days to get there by bus so I'm sure I'll have some good stories for you. Until then, que tengan un buen dia.




No comments:

Post a Comment