Friday, November 2, 2012

When the Boys are Away



If you’re wondering what I do while the boys are kayaking, here it is: drop them off at put-in, wait around for a few hours, pick them up at take-out, drive back up if they want to make the run again, wait another few hours, pick them up. This will go on for the next couple months, and yes, I do it for free with no complaints. Why? Oh please, let me tell you. 

Not only do I get a break from living with boys, I get to explore Mexico. Between yesterday and today, I’ve hiked to secluded pools, ran through sugar cane fields, and right now I’m drinking an ice cold Chelada overlooking a 100 foot waterfall. All these things done in peace and quiet (minus one crazy dog that chased me down in the sugar cane fields yesterday). Rabies shots-- check. 

“To sit in solitude, to think in solitude, with only the music of the stream and the cedar to break the flow of silence, here lies the value of wilderness.” -John Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment