Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Sugar Cane and Plantains




Running through sugar cane fields in San Luis Potosi is now a memory as I get acquainted with banana tree paradise in Tlapacoyan, Veracruz. The amount of open land in Mexico is beyond what I ever expected to find. At Minas Viejas in SLP, I could run as far as my legs would take me through sugar cane fields and hills overlooking green fields with horses and cows. One of my favorites there was through the fields at Rio Salto, and on our way out of town, we pulled over to the side of the road so I could capture this photo as a memory of that run.

Now in Tlapacoyan, we’ve unloaded the van to get cozy at Adventurec which is the most amazing place for kayakers to post up. Sleeping outside hasn’t been bad, but it’s definitely a treat to have a room with shelter from the rain. Weather here is cooler, yet still humid so the mosquitoes are most abundant and find every exposed part of my body to leave their mark. Besides my unmanageable curly hair, and pink calamine lotion on every piece of clothing, I really like it here and found a run I could definitely get used to. 

I dropped the boys and our new Australian/Kiwi friends off at the top of their kayak run, Big Banana, then parked it to go back and run the trail. It’s 6 miles of straight incline on dirt road surrounded with banana trees. An old lady picking bananas stopped me to ask where on earth I came from and why, the next guy told me I must be a gringa because only gringos were crazy to run, then a truck stopped and the asked if I needed a ride somewhere because apparently no one in these parts has seen people run without running from something. On my return back down the hill, the second guy was waiting for me with two oranges and insisted I ate them to stay nourished. As I ran by with a quick “gracias,” and a giggle, he shook his head in disbelief. I love Mexico. 


No comments:

Post a Comment