Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Third Time's a Charm - Vinny {Part 3}

After last night's hour of heart break with Vinny, his anger, doubting of God, and giving up hope, I really needed a night  to catch my breathe. 

Getting onto the freeway, I looked back to the offramp to see if Vinny was there. I had red vines, cereal, and a bike lock to deliver in hopes to make up for his previous night of despair. He was there, so I was excited to catch him on the way home. 

So I went to Barnes and Noble,  picked up the book I've been meaning to for over a month, and looked for a corner to sit on the floor and read. I can spend hours at the bookstore, and I often times do, reading a book to see if I actually want to buy it. No open corners. It was crowded. I had a happy delivery to make anyway so I bought my book and headed home. 

I got off the freeway only to find empty sidewalk. Where the heck? I drove around, went to Rite Aid for a chocolate chip ice cream cone (I love solo date nights, dontjudgeme), then finally went back around full circle. I started at the 76 station and decided I'd make my way back and if I didn't see him, then maybe tomorrow. 

I drove by 76, and saw a green shirt inside the store. Jackpot!
I pulled up to Vinny, Sam (the attendant), and another guy with a van. He has just been delivered a new bike. When Vinny saw me, he yelled back to Sam, "Look! She's here! I told you she'd bring me a lock!" Sam and his friend turned around to me but I was looking at Vinny's face. Pure joy. 

I told him Stacey went straight to Target after hearing about his bike being stolen, and she bought a bike lock along with half a tub of red vines. He told Sam we were like two daughters looking after him. 

"Well," Sam said, "that's good and I'm happy you're in a better mood because last night you were so angry." Apparently I wasn't the only one who got the cold shoulder. 

But you know what Vinny said?

"Yeah I was... but hey! Today is a new day for new beginnings and I'm going to focus on that." 

This is a photo of Vinny, Sam, and Vinny's new bike (and bike lock around his neck so he wouldn't lose it.) I should really get a camera, but until then, enjoy the flip phone photo. 

 
At home opening my new book, The Irresistible Revolution, the first line caught my attention:
"While the voices of blockbuster movies and pop culture cry out for a life outside the matrix of numb efficiency, Christianity often has offered little to the world, other than the hope that things will be better in heaven."  

I dunno, why can't we make them better for people like Vinny today? 
______

"There is a lot that happens around the world we cannot control. We cannot stop earthquakes, we cannot prevent droughts, and we cannot prevent all conflict, but when we know where the hungry, the homeless and the sick exist, then we can help." -Jan Schakowsky

"If God's love is for anybody anywhere, it's for everybody everywhere." -Edward Lawlor

No comments:

Post a Comment