Monday, April 7, 2014

Life in Alaska

"You can kiss your friends and family goodbye, and put miles between you. But at the same time, you carry them with you in your heart, in your soul, in your stomach. Because you do not just live in a world, but a world lives in you." -Fredrick Buchner

Last night with the fam. Totally normal. 
Two summers ago, I met Pat down in Mexico. The way he described where he lived in Alaska made me want more. I made it a personal goal to visit but never did I think I would be working and living here. Flying over the lights of Anchorage Friday night, I knew I belonged in Alaska. I can't explain the feeling I have being here and who's to say for how long, but for now, Denali is home.

One thing I love is how present everyone is. No one is ever on their cell phones, but instead enjoying the scenery and people around them. It's a lifestyle people in the city can't appreciate anymore. Being "connected" has taken over being present and alive.

Saturday morning, a crew of us including Pat, Molly, Kyle, and Vicki (another couple who just moved up here from AZ) went on a hike into Portage Pass which starts in the town of Whittier. Whittier is very... interesting. It's a port town for the Alaska Marine Highway and the population is under 200. All of the city lives in one building and I'm pretty sure weird stuff happens there. Pat and Molly wanted to start us off at the low end and insist we can only go up from there.

The building behind the sign is where the entire town lives

...and this is where they used to live... 

The hike on the other hand was out of this world. Along the path were footprints for a lynx and we searched everywhere to find it but apparently  it didn't want to be found. We were consistently in shin to knee deep snow and the sun finally broke through by the time we reached the glacier.


Getting to the glacier, we had to walk across the frozen lake that wasn't so frozen in some spots. Molly reminded me that Pat, being on Alaska's Search and Rescue Team, has a higher tolerance of sketchiness than most. Regardless, he tested the depth, gave his approval, and we went for it.


Kyle, Pat, Molly, Me 
Once we got to the glacier, I realized then just how small I was. Looking at my surroundings, I couldn't help but wonder about everything else around me. What was behind that glacier, and behind that even? It seemed as if we covered so much ground and saw such a huge piece of earth, yet when I looked at the topo map back at the house, we covered nothing. Alaska is huge, and so much of it has yet to be explored.



On the plane I watched, "Secret Life of Walter Mitty." I loved the quote and motto of LIFE Magazine that was consistent throughout the movie. I hope to live out their motto while living here in what I consider God's country.

"To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life." -LIFE Magazine

"Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders, let me walk upon the waters, wherever you would call me. Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander, and my faith would be made stronger in the presence of my Savior." -Hillsong United

No comments:

Post a Comment