Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Gaining and Giving




I've been struggling on what to "give up" for lent and found it difficult. I wanted to do something challenging and good for not just my body, but for my mind as well.

This morning, Pastor Eric posted something pretty cool about positive change for lent. Of course! Why wouldn't I add something into my life that makes a lasting change, rather than just giving up a habit for 40 days only to pick it back up again?

I thought about this and remembered Rick Warren's 40-day devotional, "Purpose Driven Life." Ironic with his time frame, and so was 40 days of Jesus fasting in the wilderness, 40 days of Moses at Mt. Sinai, 40 days and nights of Noah on the ark, and 40 years of the Israelites in the desert.

Lent is something any believer ought to consider in a time of reflection of what Jesus did for us. We do this through prayer, fasting, and willingness to love and serve others just as Jesus did while walking this earth.

So, while I'm going to give up drinking for the next 40 days because it's good for my physical health, I'm also going to add a 40-day devotional and daily random act of service for my spiritual health.

No comments:

Post a Comment