Thursday, May 3, 2012

What's on Your Mind?

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. Well now that's just not true. 

All day. Every day. People talk about people. They can't help it, it's innate. It's easy to talk about other people especially when that person is the only thing we have in common with someone. However, if that person were in the room with you, would you be able to say those things to them? Probably not.

My new years resolution last year was to stop gossiping. I did really good for the first few months, then I noticed I wasn't doing so great. My little brother went cold turkey this year and he's much quieter in conversations now. I have to make a conscious effort to listen more than I speak. I now count to 3 before responding to people. I'm not always good but I do my best.

Ultimately, I want my friends and family to know when they tell me something about someone else, I don't repeat it. My belief is, if someone will gossip to you, they will gossip about you. If you talk about someone, make it something positive and encouraging.

Ephesians 4:29
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment